Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Tribute To My Mom

8th October 2007. 10.25 am.

I’m in Klang, Malaysia (about half an hour drive away from Kuala Lumpur) for a short business trip.

An hour ago, my sister rang and told me my mom had passed away!

To me, she had left us several years ago.

She’s 81 this year and had been senile for the past few years. In fact, it’s a release for her as she suffered from pain, diabetes, high blood, etc as she move on to the next world.

Her life had been purposeful bringing all of us up selflessly!

We all love her … she sacrificed her life for us, never thinking for her own interests. I learned PERSEVERANCE from her! She kept going day after day despite her struggles and challenges holding on to the belief that there’s light at the end of the tunnel… and it finally came for her! I felt that she had been saved…as I feel very peaceful. Thank GOD for that!

Back in Singapore in the 1960’s and 70’s, life was hard and it was a HUGE struggle!

No one who does not know the history of Singapore would suspect that just 30 years ago, it was a totally different society and so much had taken place in just three short decades.

In addition to doing all the housework, my mom had to work very hard day after day, sewing and washing clothes for others to supplement the household income as she brought up 8 children almost single-handedly!!!

She never complained …

She just kept going!

I remember asking her about life when I was in my teens and she told me that as she kept moving on day after day, things will work out very soon. And finally, we all grew up and she could ‘retire’ from being a housewife. No more marketing, no more cooking, no more chores.

Unfortunately, she could not enjoy life much as she was inflicted with sickness.

In her last few years, she could not recognize anyone of us. She’s like a stranger to us and we strangers to her. Sad :-(

May she rest in peace ... and she’ll always live in my memory. She’s a model mom to me and I thank GOD for her!!

No comments: